Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Prop 8

I am only 16 and not able to vote, but like most people in my generation, I'm still keeping up with the issues of the upcoming election. I consider myself a conservative even though there are some liberal issues that I agree with strongly. The issues that I tend to have liberal views on have mostly to do with 'choice'. I have a really big problem with people who think that they have the right to tell another human being how to live his or her life. I have absolutely no problem with same sex marriage. If two people of the same sex can adopt a child together, can buy a home together, and can do everything else a man and woman can do together; why shouldn't they be able to be married? The way people choose to live their lives is a personal decision; even if the chosen way isn't the 'norm' in society. I would never judge somebody because they had different religious views or if they were a different race, so what right do I have to judge somebody of a different sexuality? As for arguing that schools will teach criteria discussing 'same-sex marriage'...when in your entire education did you EVER learn about marriage between any two people; including between a man and a woman? Besides, how can knowing about same sex marriage harm a child? Believe me, every kid will be exposed to homosexuality at some point in their lives, especially in school. Learning about homosexuality will not affect the way a child views his or her own sexuality, and even if it does; I would HOPE that every parent would support their child's views-even if it differs from their own.
VOTE NO ON PROP 8.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting on my blog :)
I am so glad that you are a 16 year old that cares enough to get involved in our country and world. I wish I was like you at 16. I would never try to make you see my side of prop 8, but please know that just because we disagree it doesn't mean I love you (or anyone else in my family) any less. It may seem like I am judgemental, which is not what is intended. For me, it is about preserving something that is much greater than the here and now. I do agree that all children will come in contact with homosexuality, but I do not want to be the person teaching them about it. And, believe me, I would be forced to.
♥Jen

Kelsey said...

Boop.

Mom said...

I am so proud that you are my daughter.